1. an event that departs from expectations
(synonym) discrepancy, variance
(hypernym) deviation, divergence, departure, difference
(derivation) deviate, vary, diverge, depart
2. (biology) a group of organisms within a species that differ in trivial ways from similar groups; "a new strain of microorganisms"
(synonym) form, strain, var.
(hypernym) taxonomic group, taxonomic category, taxon
(classification) biology, biological science
3. a variable quantity that is random
(synonym) random variable, variate, stochastic variable, chance variable
(hypernym) variable, variable quantity
4. something a little different from others of the same type; "an experimental version of the night fighter"; "an emery wheel is a modern variant of the grindstone"; "the boy is a younger edition of his father"
(synonym) version, variation, edition
(derivation) change, alter, vary
1. differing from a norm or standard; "a variant spelling"