1. horny plate covering and protecting part of the dorsal surface of the digits
(hypernym) horny structure, unguis
(part-holonym) integumentary system
(part-meronym) half-moon, lunula, lunule
2. a thin pointed piece of metal that is hammered into materials as a fastener
(hypernym) fastener, fastening, holdfast, fixing
3. a former unit of length for cloth equal to 1/16 of a yard
(hypernym) linear unit
1. attach something somewhere by means of nails; "nail the board onto the wall"
(see-also) pin down, peg down, nail down, narrow down, narrow, specify
2. take into custody; "the police nabbed the suspected criminals"
(synonym) collar, apprehend, arrest, pick up, nab, cop
(hypernym) seize, prehend, clutch
3. hit hard; "He smashed a 3-run homer"
(synonym) smash, boom, blast
4. succeed in obtaining a position; "He nailed down a spot at Harvard"
(synonym) nail down, peg
(hypernym) succeed, win, come through, bring home the bacon, deliver the goods
5. succeed at easily; "She sailed through her exams"; "You will pass with flying colors"; "She nailed her astrophysics course"
(synonym) breeze through, ace, pass with flying colors, sweep through, sail through
(hypernym) pass, make it
6. locate exactly; "can you pinpoint the position of the enemy?"; "The chemists could not nail the identity of the chromosome"
(hypernym) locate, turn up
7. complete a pass
(classification) football, football game