1. the basic unit of length adopted under the Systeme International d'Unites (approximately 1.094 yards)
(synonym) metre, m
(hypernym) metric linear unit
(part-holonym) decameter, dekameter, decametre, dekametre, dam, dkm
(part-meronym) decimeter, decimetre, dm
2. any of various measuring instruments for measuring a quantity
(hypernym) measuring instrument, measuring system, measuring device
3. (prosody) the accent in a metrical foot of verse
(synonym) metre, measure, beat, cadence
(hypernym) poetic rhythm, rhythmic pattern, prosody
(classification) prosody, metrics
4. rhythm as given by division into parts of equal time
(synonym) metre, time
1. measure with a meter; "meter the flow of water"
(hypernym) quantify, measure
2. stamp with a meter indicating the postage; "meter the mail"