1. making or causing a harsh and irritating sound; "the jarring noise of the iron gate scraping on the sidewalk"
(similar) cacophonous, cacophonic
2. characterized by rough motion; "a bumpy ride"
(synonym) bumpy, jolting, jolty
(similar) rough, unsmooth
1. a vessel (usually cylindrical) with a wide mouth and without handles
2. the quantity contained in a jar; "he drank a jar of beer"
3. a sudden impact; "the door closed with a jolt"
(synonym) jolt, jounce
(hypernym) bump, blow
1. be incompatible; be or come into conflict; "These colors clash"
(synonym) clash, collide
2. move or cause to move with a sudden jerky motion
(derivation) jolt, jounce
3. shock physically; "Georgia was shaken up in the Tech game"
(synonym) shake up, bump around
(hypernym) move, displace
4. affect in a disagreeable way; "This play jarred the audience"
(hypernym) affect, impress, move, strike
5. place in a cylindrical vessel; "jar the jam"
(hypernym) put, set, place, pose, position, lay