1. fastening electrical equipment to earth
(hypernym) fastening, attachment
1. the loose soft material that makes up a large part of the land surface; "they dug into the earth outside the church"
(hypernym) material, stuff
2. the solid part of the earth's surface; "the plane turned away from the sea and moved back over land"; "the earth shook for several minutes"; "he dropped the logs on the ground"
(synonym) land, dry land, ground, solid ground, terra firma
(hypernym) object, physical object
(hyponym) America, the Americas
(part-holonym) Earth, world, globe
3. once thought to be one of four elements composing the universe (Empedocles)
(classification) archaism, archaicism
4. the concerns of the world as distinguished from heaven and the afterlife; "they consider the church to be independent of the world"
(synonym) worldly concern, earthly concern, world
5. a connection between an electrical device and the earth (which is a zero voltage)
(hypernym) connection, connexion, connector, connecter, connective
1. hide in the earth like a hunted animal
(hypernym) hide, hide out
2. connect to the earth; "earth the circuit"