1. give an assignment to (a person) to a post, or assign a task to (a person)
(synonym) delegate, designate, depute
(hypernym) appoint, charge
(derivation) assignment, duty assignment
2. give out or allot; "We were assigned new uniforms"
(synonym) allot, portion
(hypernym) distribute, administer, mete out, deal, parcel out, lot, dispense, shell out, deal out, dish out, allot, dole out
(hyponym) allow, appropriate, earmark, set aside, reserve
(derivation) allotment, apportionment, apportioning, allocation, parceling, parcelling, assignation
3. attribute or credit to; "We attributed this quotation to Shakespeare"; "People impute great cleverness to cats"
(synonym) impute, ascribe, attribute
4. select something or someone for a specific purpose; "The teacher assigned him to lead his classmates in the exercise"
(synonym) specify, set apart
(hypernym) choose, take, select, pick out
5. attribute or give; "She put too much emphasis on her the last statement"; "He put all his efforts into this job"; "The teacher put an interesting twist to the interpretation of the story"
(hypernym) use, utilize, utilise, apply, employ
6. make undue claims to having
(hypernym) claim, lay claim, arrogate
7. transfer one's right to
(derivation) grant, assignment
8. decide as to where something belongs in a scheme; "The biologist assigned the mushroom to the proper class"
(hyponym) relegate, classify
(derivation) assignment, assigning