1. cruel or inhumane treatment
(synonym) maltreatment, ill-treatment, ill-usage
(hyponym) child abuse
(derivation) mistreat, maltreat, ill-use, step, ill-treat
2. a rude expression intended to offend or hurt; "when a student made a stupid mistake he spared them no abuse"; "they yelled insults at the visiting team"
(synonym) insult, revilement, contumely, vilification
(hypernym) disrespect, discourtesy
(hyponym) low blow
(derivation) clapperclaw, blackguard, shout
3. improper or excessive use
(hypernym) use, usage, utilization, utilisation, employment, exercise
(hyponym) substance abuse, drug abuse, habit
(derivation) pervert, misuse
1. treat badly; "This boss abuses his workers"; "She is always stepping on others to get ahead"
(synonym) mistreat, maltreat, ill-use, step, ill-treat
(hypernym) treat, handle, do by
(hyponym) kick around
(derivation) maltreatment, ill-treatment, ill-usage
2. change the inherent purpose or function of something; "Don't abuse the system"; "The director of the factory misused the funds intended for the health care of his workers"
(synonym) pervert, misuse
(hypernym) use, expend
3. use foul or abusive language towards; "The actress abused the policeman who gave her a parking ticket"; "The angry mother shouted at the teacher"
(synonym) clapperclaw, blackguard, shout
(hypernym) attack, round, assail, lash out, snipe, assault
(derivation) insult, revilement, contumely, vilification