1. prolonged unfulfilled desire or need
(hyponym) hankering, yen
(derivation) hanker, long, yearn
1. a comparatively long time; "this won't take long"; "they haven't been gone long"
(hypernym) long time, age, years
1. desire strongly or persistently
(synonym) hanker, yearn
(hypernym) desire, want
(hyponym) ache, yearn, yen, pine, languish
(derivation) longer, thirster, yearner
1. primarily temporal sense; being or indicating a relatively great or greater than average duration or passage of time or a duration as specified; "a long life"; "a long boring speech"; "a long time"; "a long friendship"; "a long game"; "long ago"; "an hour long"
(attribute) duration, length
2. primarily spatial sense; of relatively great or greater than average spatial extension or extension as specified; "a long road"; "a long distance"; "contained many long words"; "ten miles long"
(similar) elongate, elongated
3. of relatively great height; "a race of long gaunt men"- Sherwood Anderson; "looked out the long French windows"
4. holding securities or commodities in expectation of a rise in prices; "is long on coffee"; "a long position in gold"
5. of speech sounds (especially vowels) of relatively long duration (as e.g. the English vowel sounds in `bate', `beat', `bite', `boat', `boot')
6. used of syllables that are unaccented or of relatively long duration
(classification) prosody, metrics
7. involving substantial risk; "long odds"
8. (of memory) having greater than average range; "a long memory especially for insults"; "a tenacious memory"
9. planning prudently for the future; "large goals that required farsighted policies"; "took a long view of the geopolitical issues"
(synonym) farseeing, farsighted, foresighted, foresightful, longsighted
10. having or being more than normal or necessary:"long on brains"; "in long supply"
1. for an extended time or at a distant time; "a promotion long overdue"; "something long hoped for"; "his name has long been forgotten"; "talked all night long"; "how long will you be gone?"; "arrived long before he was expected"; "it is long after your bedtime"
2. for an extended distance