Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
The tuft of hair on a man's lower lip and chin; -- so called from the style of beard of Napoleon III.
Anything of unusual size or excellence, as a large decanter, a kind of large photograph, a large sheet of drowing, printing, or writing paper, etc.
An outside seat on a diligence.
A luggage case on the top of a coach.
A kind of fine cloth brought into England from Greece. or other Eastern countries, in the Middle Ages.
A gold coin of Russia worth ten rubles, or about eight dollars.
Of superior or unusual size or excellence; as, imperial paper; imperial tea, etc.
Of or pertaining to an empire, or to an emperor; as, an imperial government; imperial authority or edict.
Belonging to, or suitable to, supreme authority, or one who wields it; royal; sovereign; supreme.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913), edited by Noah Porter. About
hEnglish - advanced version
\im*pe"ri*al\, n. a game at cards differing from piquet in some minor details, and in having a trump; also, any one of several combinations of cards which score in this game.
\im*pe"ri*al\, n. [f. impériale: cf. sp. imperial.]
1. the tuft of hair on a man's lower lip and chin; -- so called from the style of beard of napoleon iii.
2. an outside seat on a diligence. hughes.
3. a luggage case on the top of a coach.
4. anything of unusual size or excellence, as a large decanter, a kind of large photograph, a large sheet of drowing, printing, or writing paper, etc.
5. a gold coin of russia worth ten rubles, or about eight dollars.
6. a kind of fine cloth brought into england from greece. or other eastern countries, in the middle ages.
\im*pe"ri*al\ (?), a. [oe. emperial, of. emperial, f. impérial, fr. l. imperialis, fr. imperium command, sovereignty, empire. see empire.] 1. of or pertaining to an empire, or to an emperor; as, an imperial government; imperial authority or edict. the last that wore the imperial diadem of rome.
2. belonging to, or suitable to, supreme authority, or one who wields it; royal; sovereign; supreme. "the imperial democracy of athens." who, as ulysses says, opinion crowns with an imperial voice. to tame the proud, the fetter'd slave to free, these are imperial arts, and worthy thee. he sounds his imperial clarion along the whole line of battle. everett.
3. of superior or unusual size or excellence; as, imperial paper; imperial tea, etc.
imperial capacity unit
imperial japanese morning glory
imperial software technology
imperial weights and measures
1. a small tufted beard worn by Emperor Napoleon III
(synonym) imperial beard
(hypernym) beard, face fungus, whiskers
2. a piece of luggage carried on top of a coach
(hypernym) baggage, luggage
1. relating to or associated with an empire; "imperial colony"; "the imperial gallon was standardized legally throughout the British Empire"
2. befitting or belonging to an emperor or empress; "imperial palace"
3. belonging to or befitting a supreme ruler; "golden age of imperial splendor"; "purple tyrant"; "regal attire"; "treated with royal acclaim"; "the royal carriage of a stag's head"
(synonym) majestic, purple, regal, royal
Company Info: Ticker, Name, Description
IMPERIAL CHEM INDS P L C
Develops, manufactures and markets petrochemicals, polymers and general industrial chemicals such as ethylene, propylene, methanol, ammonia, chlorine and caustic soda; Manufactures materials such as acrylics, polyurethanes and films; Manufactures paints which include decorative and automotive refinish paints and coatings and
Imperial Credit Industries, Inc.
Holding company with subsidiaries which originate, purchase, sell and service mortgage loans and leases including residential mortgage warehouse loans; Offer small business loans as well as equipment finance leases and loans; Provide asset management, investment banking and brokerage services, as well as loan
IMPERIAL GINSENG PROD LTD
Imperial Oil Limited
Develops and sells hydrocarbon energy and related products; Produces and sells crude oil and natural gas; Refines and markets petroleum products; And produces petrochemicals.
Imperial Industries Inc
Imperial Parking Corporation
Owns and operates parking properties; And provides parking services.
IMPERIAL SUGAR CO
IMPERIAL PETROLEUM INC
IMPERIAL PETE RCVRY CORP
IMPERIAL TOBACCO GROUP PL