1. inflammation of the laminated tissue that attaches the hoof to the foot of a horse
(hypernym) inflammation, redness, rubor
2. a person who founds or establishes some institution; "George Washington is the father of his country"
(synonym) beginner, founding father, father
(hypernym) originator, conceiver, mastermind
(derivation) establish, set up, found, launch
3. a worker who makes metal castings
(hypernym) skilled worker, trained worker
(hyponym) bell founder
1. fail utterly; collapse; "The project foundered"
(synonym) fall through, fall flat, flop
(hypernym) fail, go wrong, miscarry
2. sink below the surface
(hypernym) sink, settle, go down, go under
(derivation) foundering, going under
3. break down, literally or metaphorically; "The wall collapsed"; "The business collapsed"; "The dam broke"; "The roof collapsed"; "The wall gave in"; "The roof finally gave under the weight of the ice"
(synonym) collapse, fall in, cave in, give, give way, break
(hyponym) implode, go off
(verb-group) abandon, give up
4. stumble and nearly fall; "the horses foundered"
(hypernym) stumble, trip